Important: Envato — the owners of ThemeForest and CodeCanyon — have launched a new Support Policy which affects all past and future purchases. If you use ThemeForest WordPress themes and / or CodeCanyon WordPress plugins — please take note.
The Envato Market — specifically the ThemeForest and CodeCanyon websites — are probably the most popular sources of premium WordPress themes and plugins. Many WP NET customers use ThemeForest themes, and so we thought it important that we bring to your attention some important changes recently introduced.
Beginning September 1 2015, Envato launched the Envato Market Support Policy. We urge all owners of ThemeForest themes and CodeCanyon plugins to familiarise themselves with this policy.
The key elements of these changes are (taken from the Envato Market Support Policy blog post, edited and emphasis added):
- Buyers will know exactly what to expect from all purchases on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon from our item support policy.
- ThemeForest and CodeCanyon authors will be able to choose whether or not they support each of their items.
- We will clearly show buyers which items are supported at the time of purchase.
- Support included with the item purchase will be limited to 6 months from the purchase date. Authors can no longer offer ‘unlimited’ and/or ‘lifetime’ support on Envato Market.
- Buyers of supported items will have the option to purchase a 6 month support extension at the time of purchase (i.e., 12 months support in total). Soon, they will also be able to purchase extensions during and after expiry of a support period (more on this below).
- Item prices will be the same whether or not items include support.
- All updates provided by the author will continue to be available to buyers with a license.
- Buyers who purchased supported items before the new policy came into effect will have 6 months of support from September 1 unless otherwise specified.
Please note: that the new Support Policy does not mean that you will no longer receive updates for your purchased themes and plugins — the policy covers actual support enquires — not software updates.
- Read the post regarding the launch of the Support Policy on the Envato Blog.
- Read the ThemeForest item Support Policy.
- Read the Envato Market help page regarding purchasing supported, and unsupported items on the Envato Market.